Upcoming Indivisible Eugene Hosted/ Co-Hosted/ Ally Events:
- April 8th: Trans Justice March and Vigil 3:00-6:00 pm at Old Federal Building
211 E. 7th Street Eugene, Oregon 97401. (Ally Event- hosted by United Front)
- April 11th: Resist Trump Tuesday 12:00-1:00 pm US Federal District Court 405 E
8th Ave, Eugene, Oregon 97401 (Hosted by Indivisible Eugene)
- April 15th: Eugene Tax Justice March 1:00-3:00 pm at Alton Baker Park 632 Day
Island Rd, Eugene, Oregon 97401 (see route map below) (Ally Event- hosted by
- April 19th: Doomsday Clock’s It is 2-1/2 Minutes to Midnight Lecture Series-Portents and Parallels 6:15 – 7:00 pm at Tsunami Book Store, 2585 Willamette Street, Eugene, OR 97405 In brief lectures, area academics discuss some aspect of their field of knowledge that sheds light on our current political climate.The lectures are free, with a suggested donation of $3-4 to cover overhead for use of the space. This lecture is by: Gina Herrmann, Associate Professor of Spanish at the University of Oregon. The lecture title: “Models of fascism and anti-fascist resistance from World War II” (Hosted by Indivisible Eugene)
- April 22nd March For Science Eugene 12:00-2:00 pm at University of Oregon Memorial Quad. Join scientists, activists, and concerned citizens to stand and march for science, research, investigative integrity, and the environment! (Ally Event- hosted by March for Science)
Actions You Can Take:
- On April 15th at the Eugene Tax Justice March we need a couple more strong
volunteers for the take-down/ clean-up from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Alton Baker
Park. Please email member support if you can commit to helping.
- Call your Members of Congress every day! We recommend 5calls.org or Countable
if you want an easy guide.
- Follow our public Facebook page where you’ll find other ally events as well.
We encourage you to share your thoughts and information as well.
- Help organize INDIVISIBLE Eugene. If you want to help organize this effort, we
welcome your energy! There are lots of ways to contribute. Send an email to
Member Support to let us know you’re interested. The next step will be talking
with Member Support to help you figure out which team you would like to join.
What are the Indivisible Eugene Organizer’s up to this week?
- The Organizer group met on April 2nd for our bi-monthly meeting. A proposal
was presented to the Coordinator Group that provided a framework for Indivisible
Eugene to function as a whole. It was unanimously approved. We are happy to
report that at the 3 month benchmark we have established an organizational
structure and a method for our overall internal operations. We also discussed
upcoming events including our first Indivisible Eugene general meeting, which we
hope to host this summer at Alton Baker. It is in the early stages of planning
so stand by for details. Another topic of discussion was how to proceed with our
weekly Tuesday Rallies once we have reached our goal of every Tuesday for the
first 100 days of “45”. We will be reaching out to Take Action Eugene who
co-hosts the Resist Trump Tuesdays and 350 Eugene who hosts Rush Hour Resistance to discuss options.
- We participated in the weekly Resist Trump Tuesday at the US Federal District
Court Building. It was hosted by Take Action Eugene this week. Niraja did a
great job getting the group to chant and rally! There was an individual who
tried to engage in counter protesting briefly which was met by push back from
our group. We would encourage everyone to ignore these people and to find a
peacekeeper to deal with them if one is available. Escalating the situation is
not helpful and only prolongs the incident.
- Thanks to Kristin Bruckner we now have a weekly (as time allows) Thankful
Thursday post for our Facebook page!
MoC and Legislative Tracking Team report:
- IMMIGRATION / Last week, Attorney General Sessions threatened to “defund”
sanctuary cities and counties; our Senators Wyden and Merkley denounced the
proposed withholding of DoJ grants – including funds to combat gang and drug
violence – as threatening safety. Senator Wyden joined others to introduce the
PROFILED Act to guarantee due process to all individuals detained as part of
immigration enforcement. ACTION: Write Senators Wyden and Merkley to offer
encouragement and thanks.
- HEALTH CARE / House Republicans were strategizing about another attempt at
repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) this week; but after
another failure, Speaker Ryan now says reaching GOP agreement on this may take
months . Though the House GOP is stymied, other enhancements to the ACA are
being worked. Representative DeFazio has signed onto HR676, the “Medicare for
all” bill. ACTION: Call Peter DeFazio to thank him for signing on to HR 676.
Urge him to continue to fight any proposed health care plans that aim to place
further restrictions or expenses on those who want and need insurance.
- INVESTIGATIONS INTO TRUMP TEAM’S RUSSIA CONNECTIONS / The House Intelligence
Committee’s investigation continues to be stalled in disarray . ACTION: Call
Peter DeFazio to urge that Devin Nunes recuse himself and that an independent
counsel be appointed to investigate Russia’s influence on the 2016 election and
any ties between the Russian government and the Trump team.
- CONGRESSIONAL RECESS / Congress will be on recess 10-21 April. Here is Senator
Wyden’s town hall schedule and Representative DeFazio’s town hall schedule
(Senator Merkley’s is not yet posted). National Indivisible is holding a webinar
on Tuesday April 4 at 6pm, and also provides resources in their reclaim recess
- BACKGROUND ARTICLE: California Democrats Debate Response to Trump – “go to the
barricades” or “more measured diplomacy”?
- BACKGROUND ARTICLE: Facebook Failed to Protect 30 Million users from having
their Data Harvested by Trump Campaign Affiliate – the interconnectedness of
online intrusions and the relationship to Russia’s interference.
- BACKGROUND ARTICLE: The Blow it All Up Billionaires who influenced the election with megafunds and their influence going forward. (Robert Mercer has
previously attempted to oust Representative DeFazio.)
- INTERESTING RESOURCE: Would you prefer to text-message your Members of
Congress? Resistbot will turn your text messages into letters to your MoCs.
- INTERESTING RESOURCE: If you can’t get through to your Member of Congress’
phone number – or prefer not to talk to a human! – Stance is an app that records
a voice mail to your MoC and sends it to their voicemail overnight.
- Member Support Self-Care Tip: from Tiny Buddah
“Break the steady diet of depressing news stories by goofing around for a bit.
Schedule in five minutes of “play” (non-directed activity) several times throughout your day.
Blow bubbles, Leave an anonymous gift or token for someone special, Use stickers, Write silly poems or drawings on the envelopes to your bills, Leave a song on someone’s voicemail, Play with clay, Run down a hill, Draw with sidewalk chalk, Swing on the swings, Learn a new trick.” – Tiny Buddah
Our Continued Mission:
As a local Eugene chapter of the national Indivisible movement we stand together to
support and hold our Members of Congress accountable to resist this administration’s regressive agenda. We value inclusion and fairness, and resist negative rhetoric. We get our message to our Members of Congress through our presence at Town Hall meetings, rallies at their offices and member involvement including targeted phone calls and postcards. We are non-violent and lawful in our actions.